Monday, August 30, 2010

Done

My Shelves are done.  I did them all by myself with the help of Gabriel.  Let me clarify because I think he's funny.  He chatted my ear off while he watched.  Then I asked him to hand me the hammer and he did.  A couple minutes later I asked him to hand me the drill, but it was too heavy.  Then he heard Heather Link upstairs dropping off Jacob and he said, "Someone is here!  You can do it by yourself daddy, you are a big guy."  So I had help from Gabriel for 25 minutes.  Periodically he would check in on my and give me some encouragement.  It was nice.

Anyway, they are done.  Finally.  They are nothing special, but they took about 5 hours to do.







BTW.  The design is from George Andringa.  To make sure they would be stable, I climbed up top.  It held firm.  I will now attempt making a really nice set of Corn Hole.  No one reads this blog, but if someone is out there that cares, I am going to pose a question.  Follow up with your answer.  If I like it, I'll go with it.

Q: What theme should Joel use to paint his corn hole set.

I have considered North Scott Lancers since inevitably I will use it at youth events.
I've considered SF Giants because I like the Giants.
I've considered Minnesota Vikings because they are awesome and the colors are bright.
I've considered trying to create and print off stencils of Gabriel and Micah on AI (Adobe Illustrator) and using them to do a family theme. NOTE:  This could prove a complete fail so it's not high on my list even though it would be awesome if it turned out okay.
I've also thought about doing something real abstract.

I'm really up for any suggestion.  Please don't wait for others to respond.  Just let me know what you think.  If no one responds, I'll be bummed.  

12 comments :

Jake Rohde said...

First of all, what would you charge me if I DESPERATELY wanted you to make me a Corn Hole set!?! I think Elizabeth and I would go for a St. Louis Cardinals theme.

As for your set, I think you should go with a baseball theme, because that's your sport. It wouldn't have to be SF Giants, though. Maybe one of the boards could have a catcher on it so that the hole is in the middle of the catcher's mitt, and on the other one, the hole could be on the sweetspot of the batter's bat as he swings or something. That'd be super cool. That way, you're not committed to a team, so it's a little more universal. You're just committed to the greatest sport of all time.

Or it could be a generic sports theme with all different kinds of balls and athletic equipment on the boards.

Or you could do a playing card theme. The boards could be the King and Queen of spades or something.

Or you could do a Batman theme.

I like the Gabriel and Micah idea... but if you ever have any more kids won't they be screwed?

You could do a zoo theme with elephants and zebras and monkeys.

Or a train theme (that'd make Gabriel happy, right?).

I'll try to come up with more ideas for you.

Lisa Rohde said...

Wow, Jake you creep, you stole every single one of my ideas. Now I don't have anymore.
Joel, you did a beautiful job on the shelves, they will be of great use to Pam. You are quite the handyman. I think I will start calling you Manny.

Joel Rohde said...

I would make you a set and charge nothing more than materials. I don't know how much that would be though. A rough estimate would be around $20. I'll look at Home Despot and let you know. It would be cool to do it this week so you could take it home with you. Hmmmm.

Oh, and I meant to spell it that way. ;)

Joel Rohde said...

I don't get the Manny thing...

Joel Rohde said...

Oh and mom...nice cop out on the ideas thing.

George and Helen said...

I think your corn hole set should mirror your tattoo . . .

Bet you didn't know I read your blog.

George will be proud of your shelves. I will show him when he gets home.

Mom (L) said...

Awesome job, Joel.

My first instinct was the Vikings. You can't go wrong that way. But Jake has some good ideas, too.

Maybe an abstract theme. I don't know. But your shelves rock.

Emily Romero said...

Oh my gosh, you're so cool! :D

WTF is a corn hole? You should design it with pictures of my face.

Mom (L) said...

Really, Emily? WTF? Can you think of no way better to express yourself?

Mom (L) said...

Although I love your idea for decorating it, Emily. Maybe I could find some old pictures of you for it.

Joel Rohde said...

I'd love to throw bean bags at your face!

-JK

Lisa Rohde said...

Handy Manny, he is the current Bob the Builder. Get with it.