Thursday, November 29, 2012

I have such mixed emotions about Christmas.  Here is the good and the bad.

Good:
The brokenness sort of sums up Christmas I suppose
Family
Friends
Christmas Parties
Christmas Music
Good Cheer*
Peppermint Mocha
Christmas Candy
Cookies
Snow+
Silent Night
Christmas lights
Christmas Carols
Jesus of course

*It's fake good cheer.  Almost nobody is really cheery at Christmas.
+I don't like snow unless it is ON Christmas.

Bad:
Pine needles on the floor all the time (real needles from real tree or fake needles from fake tree; doesn't matter)
Kids tearing apart decor
Extra Christmas services at church that everyone wants to enjoy but no one wants to help with
Christmas music
Greed
Entitlement
Ugly Sweaters (Not to be confused with its much more likable cousin the ugly sweater party.  If only the sweaters were reserved only for the parties...)
Distance from family
Snow

I suppose the good is still better than the bad, but sometimes I'm a real scrooge.  The bad, if looked at correctly, simply is another display of our brokenness and need for a savior.

Those are a few of mine.  What are some things you like and dislike at Christmas?

3 comments :

skip said...

Good:
1. Family
2. Christmas lights
3. Christmas Cheer (I somewhat disagree and think people tend to be pretty cheery around Christmas)
4. My birthday
5. Jesus Birthday
6. Hot Cocoa
7. Skier's French Toast (Thanks Becky Nielsen)
8. Getting a Christmas Tree

Bad:
1. Black Friday
2. Greed
3. Overspending
4. Snow
5. Glitter (from ornaments, Christmas cards, strippers, etc...)

Jake Rohde said...

I agree with the "goods" listed by both of you. I think I especially enjoy looking at Christmas lights. Also, there's just something about Christmas time that feels sorta magical, and I LOVE it.

Joel Rohde said...

If Christmas only had unicorns...