Thursday, February 19, 2009

Bye Bye Facebook

I did it. I actually did it. I deactivated facebook. Here are a few reasons.

I never use facebook anyway

I don't get the thrill that others apparently get by knowing everything about everyones life. I realize that they put up what they want people to see, but I just don't care. The people I want to know about are people that I care about and I know about them without facebook.

Things have started to change on facebook though lately. It used to be a thing where I could follow as much of a friends life as I cared to and as they shared. No one ever really talked about facebook outside of facebook itself. Lately though it seems like people are constantly talking about what they learned on facebook. This is okay, I guess, after all, what you put on facebook is public information. It's not even gossip necessarily. My problem lies in the amount of pressure I feel lately to add people as friends that I don't see a need to add. People are constantly asking to be added as friends that see me 4 or 5 times a week. Some see me every day. I feel that if I don't add them as friends, they will wonder why. If I don't add them they will wonder what it is I have to hide. Can't we just be friends without facebook? Other people add me as friends and expect me to participate in normal facebook interaction that I KNOW don't give a real rats rear what the heck is up with me. It is out of their own obsession that they even care to add me.

I realize it is irrational.

There are way too many people spending way too much time on facebook. I think I am going through some sort of weird rebellion. I am like a cyber goth or something. It is just not fun for me anymore and it is quite annoying to be expected to carry on facebook conversations in normal face to face conversations.

PLEASE don't think that I have a problem with facebook at all. I just have a problem with my own relationship with facebook. For all you facebookers, keep on stalking, gawking, and wall talking. I'm sorry to anyone that actually used facebook as a means of keeping tabs on me in a good way (although even that is nonsense considering I haven't updated anything on there for months). Have fun. I mean that.

3 comments :

Jake Rohde said...

I really liked "cyber goth" and "stalking, gawking, and wall-talking." They made me laugh.

I'm pretty much with you on facebook, except it's not the people I see 5 times a week that I have a problem with... it's the random kid who graduated from Wilton two years behind Jase who knows him and Anne and Hayley Norton and thinks that makes us friends. I've been encouraging mom for some time now to ignore people with whom she's not really "friends." I've thought about deactivating my facebook account too (I ONLY ever go there if someone writes on my wall, sends me a message, or asks me to be a friend... and even then I pretty much read and/or respond and then leave the site again). I haven't updated my profile in a long time. Plus, I'm with you in the fact that the people I really care to know about, I make it a point to know about outside of facebook.

Jake Rohde said...

You inspired me. I just went from about 450 friends to 222. That's more than a 50% friend-cut!

Pam said...

I might do a friend cut too. There are things I like about facebook and things I don't. Sometimes I think I would like to get rid of it, but there are some parts that make it worth it for me. I'm glad you got rid of it though; you were never on it anyway.