Monday, January 19, 2009

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Super Bowl Sunday, America's favorite holiday, is upon us. This year's battle is between the Arizona Cardinals and the Pittsburgh Steelers. I have a feeling it will be a good one too.

I was able to watch both games last night. In the first game I was rooting for the Arizona Cardinals for a few reasons. First, who doesn't love an underdog? They are the Cubs of the NFL and while I don't personally like the Cubs all that much, if they are in the World Series I root for them. Only because that means my Giants are not. Second, who doesn't like Kurt Warner? The guys is old, he's tough, he's a real role model, and he's under rated. Third, despite what some would say about playing better when it counts, the Eagles didn't even deserve to be in that game. I know, they won, they beat the #1 seed etc... blah blah blah. The games immediately prior to and during the playoffs made the Eagles look like they were in a perpetual Christmas season. They got gift after gift after gift. Good teams literally handing games to them on a silver platter. In some cases even playing the worst games of their seasons. The Eagles did nothing more than show up. Take the Cowboys game for instance. If the Lions had been fortunate enough to schedule Dallas that week, they would be 1-15. I just can't give credit to the Eagles for making it this far.

The Cardinals won.

In the second game my hope was for the Steelers. I know, I know, I just talked about being for the underdog, but I have to say, I love watching that Palamalu (spelling?). He flies all over the field like a hungry raptor spotting its prey. That is really the only reason though. I have a ton of respect for the heart of the Ravens. Flaco is a stud. Anyway, I was really looking forward to watching this game. It was everything I'd hoped. There were more BIG hits in the game than any I've seen this season. I'll be honest, I love seeing hits like the one that was put on Willis McGahee. It is never fun when people don't get up from hits like that, but he is fine (It is sometimes harder to feel sorry for McGahee since he is "questionable for play" every week of every season).

The Steelers won.

I think it will be a great Super Bowl.

2 comments :

Jake Rohde said...

I like Polamalu too (but I was rooting for the Ravens). Do you really think Arizona can stick with Pittsburgh in Tampa in two weeks?

Joel Rohde said...

I'm afraid to say that Arizona CAN'T stick with Pitt. Gosh, we've doubted them the whole time. If I had to put money on it, I'd go with Steelers of course. I don't have to put money on it though and I think the Cards could suprise everyone just one more time.