Tuesday, December 9, 2008

To My Dear Brother Jase:

Okay, so this is getting good. This whole blogging thing is really bringing out the best in everyone. If you are interested read this. It's a blog by Jase in response to Jake and my conversation about Fantasy Football.

Dear Jase,

I that I would tell you the main reasons that I partake in fantasy.

1. I can name 4 guys out of the 12 in our league that very well would not be at North Ridge Community Church if they hadn't been asked to participate in the league. One was the neighbor of a new Christian who was asked to be in the league. Since the start of the league 12 weeks ago he has only missed one Sunday. He is at church early almost every week because he loves the camaraderie of the guys that are there setting up who talk about who is playing who, and what games are going to be big.

2. Two, I touched on it in the last point, but I'd like to draw out the camaraderie that has been formed between the guys in the league. We talk during the week, hang out before church, talk about things that aren't even related to football, watch games together, have a beer (me a coke because I hate beer, although one guy will always mix me a captain and coke, which is cool) together, and just plain enjoy each other's company. This being with guys, that I probably would not have even known or had anything in common with a couple months ago.

3. It allows me to see the game from a completely different angle. I LOVE the Vikings. They are my favorite team. If I have no players from the Vikings I still root for them to win, even against the guys in my line-up. BUT now I see the game in terms of field position, time of possession, injuries, and detail that I never watched before. EVERY play from the first to the last, matters to me. Last night is a good example. I had Antonio Bryant playing Steve Smith and I needed to hold a 6 point lead. Not easy to do against a receiver as powerful as Smith. Both Carolina and Tampa have a better record than Minnesota. I of course would like to see Tampa win just so that Carolina doesn't get that much closer to having home field advantage through the playoffs. They are one of two teams this season that haven't lost at home. The other being Tampa. Here's the kicker though, I don't really care too much since the Vikings fate is really in them winning their division, which I think they will do. So instead of rooting for Tampa to merely win. I am rooting for Carolina to get about two touchdowns ahead on the ground. This way they will run more, and Tampa will have to throw more deep. Then when the fourth quarter rolls around I want Tampa to throw a couple deep touchdowns, tie it, and go ahead with a field goal or something with time running out. The details add a lot more excitement for me. By the way, Steve Smith is amazing and got 23 fantasy points for my opponent. Antonio Bryant, however, got his season high 44 points. Guess, what. The game ended up going pretty close to what I just described except Tampa got ran all over in the fourth quarter by an incredible running show between DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart. Tampa lost. Not ideal for my team, but either one of those teams would be scary in the post season I think. Anyway, there I am with my eyes on every play. Standing during every deep pass, hooting and hollering on every Bryant/Smith catch. Two people I didn't really even know about last season. Some people may be able to watch football like this anyway. Not me. I typically wouldn't care how any team won or lost as long as MY team won or lost. In the end though, I just care that Minnesota wins or loses. By the way, when you don't have cable, you have to go to other people's houses to watch Monday Night Football. It is such a great excuse for a "Pastor's Visit".

So there are three points that make fantasy good for me. And yes, I would suggest that others try it out. I by no means think that everyone should be involved in fantasy football. I am perfectly okay with people that simply don't want to.

1 comments :

skip said...

Haha, I never said you shouldn't do it. I just said if someone else doesn't want to, you shouldn't get upset about it. I think it sounds like fun, but I don't know nearly enough about individual players to have a clue what I'm doing, so I abstain. I have absolutely no problem with your love of Fantasy football. I think it's wonderful that you have guys coming to NorthRidge who wouldn't otherwise. Just don't be offended if I don't join in the fun. I love you.