Monday, December 8, 2008

To My Dear Brother:

I encourage you to read my previous post, and the response to the post at http://bluestarcowboys.blogspot.com/2008/12/fantasy-not-for-me.html before you read any further.

Dear Jake,

Personally I think that you took my post about fantasy football a little too...um...personally? I know that I had no intention of making you feel bad about not being a fantasy person. I think it is perfectly fine not to participate in fantasy football. I'll admit that your post offended me just a little because I don't think it accurately represented my feelings about fantasy football and people. I may have used some superlatives or whatnot in my previous post that could have made people feel inferior for not wanting to participate in the sport. I'm sorry. I am responding to your post, just because it makes for some interesting web drama, and because I would like to make you feel a little bit perturbed as well. You know...because I'm the sharing type.

I would like to mention, first, that if you added up my entire time spent on my fantasy team during the season you would probably arrive at a number close to 1 hour. It isn't necessary to put more than five minutes a week into your team. At the end of the day you have absolutely no control of the outcome of your game. It really provides you with the opportunity to watch players you never would in the first place. There are also a lot of guys that I probably never would have gotten the opportunity to connect with if it weren't for the league. BUT I do see your point. There are those, and I'm assuming you must think of yourself as one of them, that would not be able to restrain themselves from sitting for hours in front of their computer every day comparing stats, weighing projections, and yelling at their wives for more beer. They could much better spend their time watching "The West Wing".

I would also like to point out that using Marion Barber of all backs as an example of a person valuable to a team but not necessarily to a fantasy team is somewhat mis-informed. Someone like Willie McGahee or Leron McClain would have definitely been a better example. You wouldn't know that though because you probably don't give a squat about the Ravens. You see, it isn't all about numbers. Projected field position, timing of scoring, match ups, even who is playing with who on what team are factors in your score. Yes, it boils down to numbers. But technically, so does a real football game. Besides, Willie McGahee is especially important to me if Antonio Bryant is playing against him. Why? I need Willie to stay just far enough ahead of the Bucs so that they have to pass down field to Bryant.

I should also mention that I really do feel bad for someone who would have to skip watching the NFC championship if it were between the Redskins and the 49rs because he so hated the site of either team. I guess I'd just have to ask...do you really love the NFL or just the Prima Donna Cowboys. Hey, before you get all offended remember, I love the Cowboys and root for them in every game they play, but I'm sick of Romo strutting around like he is King of the QB. Sick of T.O. whining every time the ball goes to someone else. If it weren't for Barber, Jones, and now Choice it would be hard for me not to see at least Romo and Owens, and throw jailbird PacMan in there too, as arrogant pricks. They have no business giving up a game like the one against the Steelers in the fourth quarter. Call it bad coaching or whatever, they choked. Just because you wear blue and silver on Sunday doesn't make you any better than Santana Moss. They should have to prove it. They haven't. It's too bad too, because I think that they are better. I think they really ARE better. But it is hard to perform if you are a head case.

There are people who would tell you all about how much they hate Harry Potter even though they never read one of his books. Or how terrible squash tastes even though looking at it is as close they've come to tasting it. I have a very hard time listening to those people. Their rants and raves just don't seem to hold much ground with me. I don't know why? Maybe you could help me out on this one.

1 comments :

Jake Rohde said...

I hope you're not seriously upset. I do think that most of your arguments here are against statements I didn't even say... but I'm (probably) not going to engage in this conversation much more because I don't want us to get pissed at each other of something stupid like this. My main goal was to illustrate that I'm not really a fantasy kind of guy, and that I have okay reasons for why that's so. I'm not trying to argue against anyone who IS a fantasy kind of guy, and it's fantastic to me that it can even be a ministry tool in your life.